Founded in December 2000, and conducted under the auspices of the Australian National Commission for UNESCO, the Australian Memory of the World Program is one of more than 60 Memory of the World programs worldwide. The Australian program aims to:
- develop the Australian Memory of the World Register
- propose nominations to the Memory of the World International Register
- promote the Program through publications and presentations
- encourage and seek government and private sector sponsorship for specific projects and activities
- participate in selected heritage activities and be an advocate for the documentary heritage sector.
The Australian Memory of the World Program operates within the regional framework of MOWCAP, the Memory of the World Committee for Asia/Pacific.